Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I hate that little tramp Dora

So a couple of days ago, I posted "Vlad hates Diego" as my facebook status. To my surprise, this generated a flurry of replies (ok a couple of replies, but to me that's a flurry). Hence I feel the need to clarify my statement.

I don't actually *hate* Diego; I was just kind of sick of him when I wrote that. My kid's a big Diego fan.

I *do* hate Dora though. She and her little non-sequitor minions all receive my loathing (you too Boots, and you, the weird blue cow with the bandanna). Why you ask? Well:

  1. She dresses like a slob, with her belly hanging out of her shirt. And she's a child that goes off "exploring" in the wilderness. Where are her parents? I don't want my kid wandering into the woods by himself with hopes of a magic map rescuing him.
  2. All the socio-political bullshit that show tries to program into our kids. The only solution to many of the challenges she faces are to speak spanish?
  3. There's no "Jenny the Explorer" teaching latin american kids to speak english
  4. The only badguy (Swiper) is the only character that doesn't speak spanish, nor have an accent.
  5. Sometimes she runs across characters that don't speak english, and makes no attempt to help them even though she's bilingual. We're all expected to learn Spanish to communicate with Tuga the Turtle (ok that's a Diego character but its the same principle)
  6. Finally, I don't like the way she talks to the viewer like they're retarded (Do YOU see the TREE? Good!)

End of diatribe.

No comments: