Sunday, February 17, 2008

Stay in school, kids

This post on one of the blogs I follow (www.controlledgreed.com) got me a little stirred up. It's titled "College a waste of time and money?" There was a similarly-themed question on linkedin.com this week asking "Is it derogatory to be a college dropout?". While both threads include valid points, especially the "opportunity cost" of going to college balanced against the incremental return, I have to call bullshit.

If you plan on working in the corporate world, formal education is essential. If you're planning on being an entrepreneur and starting your own business, corporate experience is important; it gives you an edge over other entrepreneurs, bith in the networking aspect as well as exposure to those elements you think you don't like. "I don't want to wear a suit and have a boss!" How do you know you don't? Because MTV told you it's not cool, or because you tried it and learned that about yourself? Of course, if you plan on starting a band, or being an artist, or a professional adventurer, or missionary, you can probably skip college. I made the comments below in response to the controlledgreed post; I wonder what others would say ion the subject... Am I being too old-fashioned in my belief that going to business school and working on ridiculous projects with teams of people you don't know and may not like teaches you important skills?

Sorry folks, you can talk about alternatives to education, but I work in financial services (and technology for financial services before that) and I will not hire you or your kids without a college degree. Also I would not have been hired in any job I had without it. At least you need to explain why you didn't go: "I needed to support my family, so couldn't afford it, but 6 months in a trade school got me a job" is acceptable. "I don't believe in the concept that I'd have to take Literature when I'm more of a science guy" is not. I agree that the quality of your education is critical, and socialization plays into that quality - hence the University of Phoenix MBAs get less credit in my book - but education is required. Mind you it doesn't guarantee success, just gets you in the door. Without it, enjoy your alternatives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a professional educator, I take a certain umbrage to any statement that would render me or my profession obsolete. I agree that secondary and post-secondary education is a necessity in a civilized society. In fact, the only way to ensure progress is to maintain an educated populace.

However, I believe that "getting an education" today has become a means to an end. I watch hundreds of teenagers pass through my doors with only one motive: to do whatever it takes to get to the next step. Learning as an objective has been replaced by the Cold War strategy of doing more faster, no matter the consequences (or lack thereof). Colleges and universities base their acceptance on dubious standardized tests, social performance in intra-, inter-, and extra-curricular activities, and grade-point averages that assess a body of trivial and irrelevant knowledge that disappears once it is regurgitated on the exam paper.

But as long as employers continue to decry the lack of a degree as tantamount to impotence and obsolescence, I will rest comfortably on my delicious benefits and tin-parachute pension plan. I will continue to extol the benefits of the five-paragraph essay. I will berate those who don't know the difference between their, there and they're. I will provide a veritable omniumgatherum of trivial information to those who will be no better qualified for the college they go to or the job they do than before they met me. Their degree means no more than the degree offered to the retarded sack of kindling by the great and powerful Oz. Because "Getting an Education" doesn't mean a person has become "educated". After all, educated is just a bullshit word. So go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because frankly, I don't give a shit.
Whoo-hooo!!!! Facial, LaFleur!!!!! Total Facial!!!!